Happy National Smith Day!

In case you missed it, yesterday was National Smith Day. Given the fact that I received only one "Happy Smith Day" greeting, I am guessing most of you never knew. Smith Day commemorates the birthday of Captain John Smith (born January 6, 1580) who founded Jamestown, VA, the first permanent English settlement in what is now the United States. So for what it was worth -- I celebrated Smith Day by drinking a can of V-8 juice!

Now I have had a lot of fun with my name. After all, it is the most popular (not common, please!) name in the United States. Many people make wise cracks when I tell them my name (like, "OK, so much for your alias, now what's your real name?"and "So where's Pocahontas?") When asked the latter, I like to inform the person that Pocahontas never married Captain John Smith - she married a Virginia tobacco grower named John Rolfe. I also like to "head people off at the pass" when asked my name by saying, "My name is John Smith, believe it or not!"

Not only have I had fun with my name, my name almost landed me on NBC's Today Show. Back in 1987, the Today Show was planning to take a week and broadcast from the five most livable cities as ranked by Rand McNally's Places Rated Almanac. That particular year, Pittsburgh, PA was rated #1. I happened to live in Pittsburgh. One day, I received a phone call from a woman claiming to be a producer with the Today Show. It took her some time to convince me that she was indeed who she claimed to be. Once I was on the same page with her, she told me that the Today Show was considering bringing on the show a group of John Smiths from each of the cities they were going to visit. So she asked me if she could interview me as a possible guest. I agreed - but must have failed as I never heard from her or the show again!

Speaking of names - there is one name and only one name given under heaven by which we can be saved. That name is Jesus (see Acts 4:12). And there is coming a day when "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10-11).

What are you doing NOW to point people to Jesus? There is no name as glorious as His!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...