A Lesson from a Bird Feeder

During the winter months (if you can really call this season we are in "winter!"), I like to keep the bird feeder that hangs outside my office window at home full of birdseed. Once the birds realize the food is there for the having, there's no keeping them away! (If you fill it ... they will come!)  From sun up to sun down the birds come and go as they seek to satisfy their hunger.

As I thought about these birds ... I was saddened that I was not more like them. I am not thinking about my need to be visiting my fridge more often, I probably do that too much now! But what I need is a greater hunger for God and for his Word! I need to be like these birds who are all about going to the place where they know they can be fed. And not just once a day ... but throughout my day!

When the apostle Paul showed up preaching Christ in Berea, the Jews that were there "received the word with all eagerness" (Acts 17:11). Is that how I receive God's Word?  Am I eager to hear it? Do I keep going back for more?  How about you? Are you like these birds who continue to return for more food? If this does not describe you (or me) ... then what is wrong with us? That, my friend, is a question that only we ourselves can answer!  I encourage you to give some thought (and PRAYER) to this. The health and welfare of your soul depends upon it!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...