OK ... How Is It Possible to "Pray without Ceasing?"

Most if not all Christians are familiar with the biblical mandate laid down in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 where we are told to "pray without ceasing." Knowing it is one thing .... putting it into practice is another. I mean ... most of us have a life and a very busy one at that! Running here and there .... doing this and that ... and getting down right wrung out by the day's end by doing so. So how in the world can God expect us to "pray without ceasing?"  

Theologian of yesteryear, Charles Hodge had this to say . . . 


"I think that in my childhood I came nearer to conforming to the apostle’s injunction: “Pray without ceasing,” than in any other period of my life. As far back as I can remember, I had the habit of thanking God for everything I received, and asking him for everything I needed. If I lost a book, or any of my play things, I prayed that I might find it. I prayed walking along the streets, in school and out of school, whether playing or studying. I did not do this in obedience to any prescribed rule. It seemed natural. I thought of God as an everywhere—present Being, full of kindness and love, who would not be offended if children talked to Him. I knew he cared for sparrows. I was as cheerful and happy as the birds and acted as they did." 

Hmm. Thanking God for everything we receive AND asking God for everything we need. Now that's one way we can effectively "pray without ceasing." 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj




No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...