Making the Doctor Call!


Sometimes I have the most difficult time making the call to go see the doctor when I am sick. As I thought through why this is the case .... I came up with the following: I don't really want to spend money on the cost of the office visit and the medicine that he will most likely subscribe. I simply hate sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of people who appear sicker than me. In addition, I detest taking the time to do so when I have a mountain of tasks calling my name. Finally, I figure if I wait long enough my body will be able to fight off the illness on its own.

Well I tried waiting my current illness out. But after at least two weeks of doing all the home remedies that I could think of ... I finally waved the white tissue of surrender. So later this morning ... it's off to the doctor I go.

All too often, I do the same think in the spiritual realm (and I am guessing you do this, too). I try to grow in my faith more or less on my own ... giving little thought to the divine partner that God gives to each one of us. I am referring to the Holy Spirit. The night before Jesus was crucified, he stunned his disciples by telling them that it was for their good that he was leaving them (John 16:7). And the reason it was for their good (and ours as well) is spelled out clearly by Jesus. If he had not gone, he would not have been able to send the Holy Spirit to them. And of course, we could not live the Christian life if it were not for the Spirit's enablement (Romans 8:13; Galatians 5:16-25; Ephesians 5:18).

All this said, I have a loooooooooong way to go in learning what it means to "walk in step with the Spirit." I am praying that God will teach me and that I will be a good student! How about you? It's not an issue of how much of the Holy Spirit you have ... it's an issue of how much of YOU the Spirit of God has!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...