Are You Wearing a Mask?

On the morning of my daughter's wedding, she asked me to make a special delivery to her fiance, Ryan consisting of TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpets and MacDonald's coffee. As I thought about doing so, my weird sense of humor kicked in and I decided to dress up as the 9th Bridesmaid (that's right - my daughter had eight!). I posted a written description of what I looked like on Tuesday's edition of my blog - but today I thought I would give you a picture. So take a long look - and yes, underneath the Philadelphia Eagle's cap (hard to believe, I know!) red wig, ugly mask, tie and tuxedo jacket is yours truly! You can imagine my daughter's now mother-in-law's reaction when she opened her front door! I am just glad she didn't panic and do something to hurt me!

Now normally I do not go around wearing a wig and a mask. In fact, I cannot recall the last time I did so. But in a figurative sense, I do wear masks far more than I should. And if you are anything like me (and I suspect you are) you probably do so too. Ever since Adam and Eve rebelled against God, we have been "covering up" or hiding. Hiding from God and hiding from one another. And one way we do so is to wear "masks." So instead of being open and honest with others, we hide behind facades of our own making.

What we all need to learn to do is to take off the masks and be transparent. But we can only do so if we are secure in our identity in Christ. The Apostle Paul uses the phrase "in Christ" over eighty times in his letters. It is a very important concept for us as Christians to grasp. If you want a better understanding, let me recommend you go to the following web site: http://www.ficm.org/whoami.htm

Knowing who you are "in Christ" will enable you to ditch your masks and be yourself!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...