The Grim Reaper is Reaping Away!

Over the course of the past couple of weeks, it seems like every time I turn around I receive news that the Grim Reaper has struck. I answer my smartphone or read my email only to be told of another death. Among them? Two seniors from our church family; one of our missionary's father; a good friend and former boss' dad; the college student who lived with us for four plus years - her grandfather; and the one that hurt me the most, my own sister. And to have these deaths occur around the holidays, makes a bitter pill even tougher to swallow.

Some of these deaths were anticipated. Others, however, were not. But in either case, when death comes knocking, it is always a bittersweet moment. Bitter because it hurts to be separated from the one you love. To think you will never embrace your loved one (this side of heaven) or hear his or her voice on the phone is tough to handle. Saying "goodbye" is a bitter experience. But for those of us who have embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ, death can be sweet. For in death, we know that our loved one is now at peace. No more pain ... no more heartache ... no more sin. In its place is a joy that I won't even attempt to describe.

So, when death comes knocking at the door of someone you love ... and if that someone knows Jesus .. remember these words of the great evangelist, D. L. Moody: "One day you will hear that D. L. Moody is dead. Don't believe it. For on that day I will be more alive than ever!"

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

PS -- If you have any questions about being prepared for this visit of death that is sure to come your way someday ... please check out Two Ways to Live: The Choice We All Face.

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...