Time to Make an Appointment?

If you are anything like me, then the phrase "crazy busy" probably seems to describe your life far too often. Yes? Well for all of us who are "crazy busy," pastor and author Kevin DeYoung has done us all a favor by recently writing a book with the title,  Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem.  He concludes chapter 2 (Here, There and Gone: Three Dangers to Avoid) with the following (You may want to put on a pair of steel toed boots. Kevin just might step on your toes!):

"What does it say about me that I’m frequently overwhelmed? What do I need to learn about myself? What biblical promises am I not believing? What divine commands am I ignoring that I should obey? What self-imposed commands am I obeying that I should ignore? What’s going on in my soul, so that busyness comes out as my chief challenge every year?
 
The presence of extreme busyness in our lives may point to deeper problems— a pervasive people-pleasing, a restless ambition, a malaise of meaninglessness. “Busyness serves as a kind of existential reassurance, a hedge against emptiness,” writes Tim Kreider in his viral article, “The‘Busy’ Trap,” for the New York Times. “Obviously your life cannot possibly be silly or trivial or meaningless if you are so busy, completely booked, in demand every hour of the day.” The greatest danger with busyness is that there may be greater dangers you never have time to consider.
 
Busyness does not mean you are a faithful or fruitful Christian. It only means you are busy, just like everyone else. And like everyone else, your joy, your heart, and your soul are in danger. We need the Word of God to set us free. We need biblical wisdom to set us straight. What we need is the Great Physician to heal our overscheduled souls. If only we could make time for an appointment."
 
So ... how about that appointment?
 
Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...