Friday Coffee with PJ

It's Friday ... It's coffee day (well, for me EVERY day is coffee day!). Pour yourself a cup of your favorite brew and join me for a couple of random thoughts.

1. Both my wife and I had "second opinion's" in the past two weeks. Mine last week was for my wrist and hand ... hers for her right knee. Both doctors reaffirmed what the first doctor in each case had said. As a result, my wife is looking at a knee replacement and I am looking at further surgery as well. We considered flipping a coin or doing "rock, paper, scissors" to see who would get to go first. But, given our life circumstances, Sharon is the winner here. So ... most likely sometime in September she will be getting a new knee. The date has yet to be set. In the meanwhile, I will bide my time and hope that maybe ... perhaps ... hopefully (although neither orthopedic gave me much hope!) my situation will improve enough that I will not need surgery. All this said, we would appreciate your prayers as we move forward. These are just additional reminders that growing older isn't for sissies ... AND ... what a joy our new resurrection bodies will be (1 Corinthians 15:42-49).

2. Donald Trump is proving that not only does he have a big (and I mean BIG!) bank account, he also has a very BIG mouth. And that big mouth is getting him into a lot of hot water. Yet he claims he does not care what other people think. He is going to continue to say what is on his mind. Hmmm. As I thought of "The Donald" ... I thought of myself. I, too, from time to time have too "big" a mouth. I say things that hurt others, slander others, exaggerate the truth to make me look better, gossip about someone, etc. etc. etc. It is no wonder that James refers to the tongue as "a fire" and claims that "no one can tame the tongue" (James 3:1-12). So what can we do to better control this piece of flesh that wags between our jaws? Here are a few suggestions to better your talk:

Think before you speak
Ask God to help you speak gracious words
Listen more, talk less
Kill gossip before it spreads

If you do these simple things ... your words will be much more like Jesus' words!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...