Friday Coffee with PJ

It's Friday!!!!!  So it's time to pour yourself a cup of that wonderful beverage we call "coffee" and join me for a couple of random thoughts.

1. Bertrand Russel once said, "Many Christians would rather die than think; in fact, they do!" Ouch! Sad to say, what he said half a century or so ago is just as true (if not more so) today. But following Christ does not require us to check our brains at the door of the church. God calls upon us to love him with all of our hearts, souls and minds (Matthew 22:37). Our faith is not a "leap into intellectual darkness!" There is evidence for our faith. And when one follows the evidence, it leads to the God who made us ... the God to whom we are accountable (Romans 1:18-20). Regrettably, the mass of humanity takes this evidence and suppresses it (Romans 1:18) and exchange it for a lie (Romans 1:25). But for those of us who take God at His Word .... we can ill afford NOT TO THINK. Consider these words written by Charles Spurgeon, arguably one of the greatest preachers the church ever produced:

"The highest science, the loftiest speculation, the mightiest philosophy, which can ever engage the attention of a child of God, is the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings, and the existence of the great God whom he calls his Father. There is something exceedingly improving to the mind in a contemplation of the Divinity. It is a subject so vast, that all our thoughts are lost in its immensity; so deep, that our pride is drowned in its infinity. Other subjects we can compass and grapple with; in them we feel a kind of self-content, and go our way with the thought, “Behold I am wise.” But when we come to this master science, finding that our plumbline cannot sound its depth, and that our eagle eye cannot see its height, we turn away with the thought that vain man would be wise, but he is like a wild ass’s colt; and with solemn exclamation, “I am but of yesterday, and know nothing.” No subject of contemplation will tend more to humble the mind, than thoughts of God.... But while the subject humbles the mind, it also expands it. He who often thinks of God, will have a larger mind than the man who simply plods around this narrow globe.... The most excellent study for expanding the soul, is the science of Christ, and Him crucified, and the knowledge of the Godhead in the glorious Trinity. Nothing will so enlarge the intellect, nothing so magnify the whole soul of man, as a devout, earnest, continued investigation of the great subject of the Deity" (quoted from Knowing God by J.I. Packer - which is, I believe, a must read book for anyone desiring of knowing God better!).

So ... all this to say .... "Let God's people THINK!"

2. The other day as I was driving from Hershey back to Lancaster, a driver began to tail gate me. Now according to SmartDriver.com, when driving 45 mph, one should allow 198 feet between yourself and the car in front of you. This driver was allowing about 10! So .... I slowed down and then motioned in my rear view mirror for the driver to move back. She simply waved her hand at me as if ... "whatever!" and continued to tailgate. When I said something to my wife (who was seated in the back seat with our grandson), she turned and looked back and also motioned for the diver to back off. At that point ... the driver went ballistic, throwing her arms all about, her mouth showing that she was screaming (which fortunately neither we nor our grandson could hear). She finished by showing
us one of her fingers (and I am sure you can guess which one). Well at that point, I decided to pull into a gas station that we were approaching. I put on my turn signal. Before I could turn, she raced past us (passing on a double yellow line). All that to repeat the same thing with the driver I was following! After she passed I said to my wife, "There goes one very angry woman!" Now before I condemn this woman for her anger ... I must (as we all must) take a look into the mirror. All of us struggle with sinful anger from time to time. Some of us more so than others. When our agenda gets preempted ... we grow angry! The Scripture tells us, "Be angry and do not sin - do not let the sun go down on your anger" (Ephesians 4:26). IF you have problems with anger, let me suggest you take a moment to read How Can I Manage My Anger? You will be better for it (as will those around you!)!

3. Finally, I would ask all of my blog friends to offer up a prayer for my wife today. She is undergoing surgery to receive a new right knee. Thanks! Your prayers are much appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj


 

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...