Friday Coffee with PJ

Pour yourself a cup of your favorite java and join me for a few thoughts that I hope will encourage you to grab a hold of the day and live it for Christ!

1. Today being Good Friday, I want to begin by expressing my desire for you to experience in a special way God's love for you in Christ His Son. The Apostle Paul reminds us that God demonstrated his love for us in that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). I hope as you spend time today reflecting on the sacrifice of Christ on your behalf, that you will be powerfully reminded of just how much he loves you! And if you are in the Lancaster area, please join us from 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm for our Good Friday Evening Service, during which we will focus on the Seven Sayings of the Cross. 

2. Two Fridays ago I confessed to a speeding ticket which I received (and justly so) on my drive back from Virginia. Last Friday I mentioned that I had received 5 letters from different attorneys offering to represent me in court should I desire to contest the charges (which I don't as I have already paid the fine). Since last week's post, I have received three additional attorney letters. Now, I am planning to make this mention of my criminal activity my last (actually planned for last week's post to be my last, but I wanted to point out something contained in the most recent letter I received). The second paragraph of this letter begins with the following:

We understand that this is a serious matter for you. If you don't hire an attorney you may be convicted of the charge! Your auto insurance could triple! You may have a high fine! You may accumulate too many points and your licence could be suspended! All of these things can possibly impact you and your family.

When I read this to my wife she insightfully responded, "Boy, are they ever playing on people's fears!"  Yup! Exactly! Now for the record, I plead guilty already. My auto insurance will not triple (as this is my first moving violation ever ... at least of which I have been convicted!). The fine, although it took a bite out of my wallet, the bleeding wasn't too severe. And as for points? The commonwealth of Pennsylvania does not add points to a the holder of a PA licence if the speeding violation occurred in another state. 

But this attorney knows what motivates people ... FEAR! As a follower of Christ, I am called to live NOT in fear but to walk by FAITH (John 14:1). In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord Jesus states very clearly, "Do not be anxious about your life . . ." He then goes on to explain WHY we should not worry. If you have not read Matthew 6:25-34 recently, do yourself (and your friends and family) a favor and take a moment to read it right now! God doesn't want us to be consumed by fear. He invites us to lean on him! No one has broader shoulders than He does ... not even close! 

3. This past Saturday turned out a bit busier than usual for me. Most Saturday mornings find me in my office wrapping up my preparation for Sunday morning. However, last Saturday not only did I have to get ready for Sunday (and I was behind due to some other responsibilities that hit during the week), but I had to finish preparations for a funeral that afternoon and then conduct both the memorial service and the grave side committal service (the service was for a godly woman who was part of the group of people who started our church back in 1976 - it was an honor for me to officiate)! In addition to this, my granddaughter Molly's 5 year old birthday party was scheduled at the Hands on House from 3pm-5pm. Knowing I would be late for her party, I explained to Molly earlier in the week that "Papa would be late because he had to help comfort a family whose Grammy went home to live in heaven." Well, as I pulled out of the cemetery, I calculated in my mind the quickest route to the Hands on House. I drove as quickly as I could (abiding the speed limits, of course!), finally arriving at 4:45. By the time I walked into the party room, the pile of gifts were unwrapped, the candles had been extinguished, and the kids were licking their lips of the remnants of vanilla icing. As I drove home, I asked myself ... "Was it worth all the hassle to drive to the party, only to be
The dawning of my love for Molly!
there for 15 minutes or so?" I got my answer later that evening. My son, Tim, (Molly's dad) sent me a text. It read, "
Molly's favorite part of the party was opening gifts, she said. I asked her what her second favorite part was; she said, "when Papa came!"  Now that made my day! Listen my friends, don't ever underestimate the value of your presence in the life of someone you love! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...