Friday Coffee with PJ

Sorry I missed you all last week. I was on a "staycation," enjoying some time away from work and with my wife. But this morning, I am back (actually was back at the beginning of this week). So pour yourself a hot cup of java and join me for a few random thoughts. 

1. One of the fun things my wife and I did last week was to see the movie, The Man Who Invented Christmas. The movie portrays how Charles Dickens wrote and published his much loved story, A Christmas Carol, in a matter of six short weeks. The majority of his characters who appear in his book are based on actual people he encountered in his own life. One item Dickens carried with him was a little book. In that book, he would write down names whenever he ran across one that struck his fancy. These names often worked their way into his writings (for example, at the end of the film, he met a constable with the last name of Copperfield .... ring a bell?). Dickens is not the only one keeping a book of names. God is, too! Really? Absolutely. In the Bible's final book, the Apostle John is describing the final judgment. During this judgment, all of humanity will stand before God. Books will be opened which record every deed we have ever done, every word we have ever spoken, every thought we have ever had. And since even the "best" of these are as "polluted garments" before God (Isaiah 64:6), all of us should be condemned. However, there exists another book. It belongs to the Lamb, whom the Scriptures identify as none other than Jesus Christ (John 1:29). Anyone whose name is recorded in this book will not face eternal judgment, but will instead be given eternal life (Revelation 13:8; 20:15). 

My friends, is your name written in the Lamb's Book of Life? You might wondering how you can find out? Your name is written in it when you make the choice to follow Jesus. If you want to learn more about what it means to do so, I urge you to check out: Two Ways to Live: The Choice We All Face.

2. In just a little over a week (ten days, but who's counting?!), Christmas Day will arrive. For my wife and I, that means lots of grandkids will descend upon our house (seven of them are eight years of age and under). If I could just figure out how to capture their energy in a pill, I could fund a lot of mission projects around the world! I will guarantee you that by the time they all head for home and a welcome quiet descends upon our house, Grammy and Papa will crawl into our recliners, put up our feet, and allow the warmth of having spent Christmas Day with our kids and their kids sooth our tired bodies. 

Not every grandparent will enjoy this blessing this Christmas. But for my wife and I, we thank God that we can! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...