Friday Coffee with PJ

It's Friday again ... so please pour yourself a cup of your favorite coffee and join me for a couple of random thoughts.

This past Sunday, my smartphone had a rather unfortunate encounter with water (I will leave it at that!). I did my best to dry it out (which included leaving it in a bag of dried rice overnight). But even though it did make a come back of sorts, the display continued to flicker off and on. At that point, I knew it was time to purchase a new phone. For starters, since our provider is Consumer Cellular (no contract YES!!!), I took a look at the phones they offer. I was not about to pay full price for the latest android phones that were in their lineup (my first smartphone was an iPhone ... but when I had to retire that phone I made the switch to android phones - and am glad I did!). And the lower priced phones they were offering did nothing for me. So I did some research and landed on the Moto G5 Plus.* Many reviewers lauded it as the best budget phone you can buy (the words "best" and "budget" really caught my eye!). Adroid Central labeled it The Most Important Phone of 2017.  After deciding on the phone, I checked out Best Buy and noticed the model I was interested in was actually on sale. So, Monday morning, I walked into Best Buy, bought the phone (the sales rep inserted the SIM card from my old phone) and walked out in a matter of less than 15 minutes! Now that's service! 

As I thought of this, I thought how nice it would be if every problem we face in life could be so easily solved. But that's not how life works. So how should we approach the problems that rise up in our lives? What resources do we have available to help us 
find solutions? Let me suggest the following three principles which will go a long way toward helping you resolve difficulties that come your way. 

- The sufficiency of Scripture: The Bible is sufficient in providing help for every problem we may ever face. In 2 Peter 1:3, the Apostle Peter tells us that we have everything we need for life and godliness in the knowledge we have of God (which comes to us through the pages of the Bible). Both King David (Psalm 19:1-6) and the Apostle Paul (2 Timothy 3:15-17) also express a very high regard for what the Scripture is able to do. 

- The centrality of Christ: Christ must be at the center of the resolutions of your problems. In Philippians 4:13, Paul talks about how Christ enables him to do "all things." In contrast, Jesus in John 15:5, tells us that we can do "nothing" apart from him. As can readily been seen from this, Jesus Christ must be at the very center of our attempts to resolve the problems we face. 

- The necessity of community: Your involvement in a community of Christ -followers is essential if you are going to overcome life's never-ending problems (which are never-ending because we are broken people living in a broken world). In both Hebrews 3:12-13 and Hebrews 10:24-25, the writer of this letter reminds us of just how much we need each other! God never intended us to walk through this life on our own. We need other fellow travelers to lean on (and vice-versa). 

Three principles to grip and to apply as we go through life, for if you aren't dealing with a problem today, you will tomorrow! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

*To be fair to Consumer Cellular ... they did offer the 2GB/32MG model of this phone, but for an slightly more money I had my eye on the 4GB/64MG model. 

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...