Friday Coffee with PJ

Someone recently asked me if I could go a week without drinking coffee. I assured him that I most certainly could. But the better question is WHY would I want to do so? I have in the past on this blog referred to the health benefits of drinking coffee (in moderation, of course!). So why would I want to even try? There's nothing better to waking up than coffee in my cup! So given that today is Friday, I invite you to join me over a cup of coffee for a few thought that I hope will encourage you in this world that so often brings discouragement our way! 

Many football fans if they cannot watch their team play at the time the game is aired over television will often record it to watch it later (as if they were watching it live). The problem with trying to do so is avoiding hearing the score. I know when I have tried to do this it's inevitable that a fellow Steeler fan will text me with some sort of comment that tells me the game's outcome. So I have adopted a new philosophy. I record the games. I don't try to "stay in the dark" about how the game is progressing. If the Steelers win, I watch the game. If they don't why bother! This approach has led to some interesting viewing. For example, there have been a few games in which the Steelers have fallen behind, sometimes to the point I am asking myself, "how in the world are they going to win this game?" But since I know the outcome is a W, I don't sweat, panic, or keep throwing my "bad call brick" at the TV (no worries, it's foam!). I just sit calmly in my lazy boy, munching on my snackies as I wait for them to kick it into gear and score the winning touchdown. 

This, my friend, is how Christians need to view this world in which we live. It all too often appears that evil has the upper hand. Mass shootings, devastating wild fires and hurricanes, human trafficking, the opioid epidemic, the persecution of Christians, the moral confusion surrounding many issues, but especially the sexual ethic can simply be overwhelming. These things threaten to undo us. BUT ... and this is a huge "BUT" ... we know how everything will end. At the conclusion of human history, when all the rulers and kingdoms of earth have crumbled into oblivion, Jesus Christ and HIS kingdom will still be standing! So for us who choose to follow Jesus*, we are on the winning side, no matter how much it might appear otherwise! So stand tall for Christ and the Gospel! Don't despair. Jesus is still King!

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

*If you have questions about what it means to follow Jesus, I suggest you check out, Two Ways to Live: The Choice We All Face.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don’t read these comments very much but I really liked this one and it gives me a better prospect. I so often worry about my grandchildren and their future. You mentioned so many things I think about. To be perfectly honest, I have gotten some peace. Thank you for that. Hope you guys will be able to visit next fall. Lovingly....Sharon too.

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...