Flying Fast and Getting Nowhere!

Back in my childhood days, getting a rare sight of Canadian Geese was a thrill! Every fall, I could look up into the skies and see (and hear!) flocks of various size winging their way south for the winter. Six months later, they returned overhead, now flying north to their summer breeding and feeding grounds. But over the years, an increasing number of these beautiful creatures have been staying put in their locales all year round (except for those in the far north).  


My wife and I moved into a new home at the end of August. We soon discovered there were numerous geese who make their home nearby. Each day I hear their loud honking overhead as they encourage one another to fly on! But fly where? Unlike their migratory cousins, who appear on the northern horizon only to disappear as they wing their way south, our neighboring geese 
fly in circles trying to decide which empty field might yield some tasty delights. 

I see myself in these neighboring geese. I am often running here and there, seeking this or that, when I should be running the race God has set before me. There is a finish line ahead. I am called to run toward that goal, keeping my eyes focused on Jesus. He stands there at the finish line cheering me on. Yet, like my feathered neighbors, I an prone to run fast ... but to run in circles. This happens when I take my eyes off of Christ, and look to find satisfaction in what this fallen world has to offer. 

How about you, my friend? Do you find yourself flying fast and getting nowhere? If so, take a look at the thoughts filling your mind, the values filling your heart, the activities filling your days. Are these things helping you to grow more in love with Jesus? Take stock. Stop flying fast and getting nowhere. Instead go hard after Jesus. For he, and only he, is the way the truth and the life.

Thanks for stopping by, 

PJ

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...