Unparalleled Love

Elizabeth Barrett Browning's most read poem, Sonnet 43, is better known by the words of its first line: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." The poem, published in 1850, is believed by most critics to be a declaration of the poet's love for her husband and fellow Victorian poet, Robert Browning. Her love for him was strong and passionate! 

This poem came to mind as I was reflecting on the reality that tomorrow is Valentine's Day. A day in which we are reminded of the joy of love. Indeed God has blessed me with a wife whom I have loved since the day we first met over 48 years ago. Rare is the day I do not thank God for bringing the two of us together. 

But Valentine's Day is also a good day to remind ourselves of One whose love for us is unmatched. For it was while we were yet sinners that Jesus Christ gave up his life for us! What love he has for us! As I began to reflect upon his affection for his people, I thought I would take liberty with Barrett Browning's poem and rewrite it from the perspective of Christ. 

How do I love you? Let me count the ways.
I love you no matter how far you might fall
Or how often you fail to give me your all.
Though you may deny me or often defy me, 
My love for you never ever loses its gleam.
Your heart may be prone to wander, 
But my heart for you only grows fonder.
 
So you ask me how do I love you?
Take a look at the palms of my hands, 
For next to the scars you will see a brand,
That I will carry with me for all eternity
Your name engraved for everyone to see. 

Thanks for stopping by,
PJ




No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...