Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men!

One day, as Simon and his brother, Andrew were casting their fishing net into the waters of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus spotted them and stopped to talk to them. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." How did Andrew and Simon respond to this invitation? "At once they left their nets and followed him." (See Matthew 4:19-20). I don't know about you - but I find it striking that they did that. They could have said to Jesus, "That sure is an interesting invitation; we will have to talk about it. We'll get back to you tomorrow." No. Matthew records no hesitation on their part. They simply left their nets and followed Jesus. Surprising? It shouldn't be. Simon and Andrew realized who it was that was offering the invite. And that made the all the difference for them.

I love to fish (See pic. It is not doctored in any way. I really did catch that fish!). But I love to fish for men even more. What a joy to be able to point people to Jesus Christ. He alone can meet a person's deepest needs. And He alone is the way home. Without Christ, people are lost. But with Him, they are wonderfully found! The invitation Jesus offered to Simon and Andrew - he offers to all of us. Are you willing to follow Him and allow Him to make you a fisher of people?

Thanks for listening,

PJ

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...