Back in Town with Some Random Thoughts

Finally after a week of vacation and a two day police chaplaincy conference, I am back in town in the office and trying to figure out what I need to do first! But before I tackle the rest of my TDL (To Do List) I thought I would post some random thoughts for you to think about.

1. Vacations are a great time to work on significant relationships in one's life. This past week was a wonderful experience for my wife, Sharon and I. We spent a bunch of quality time together. Hours of driving in the car (and driving to South Carolina and back I do mean hours!) gave us plenty of time to just talk - and that doesn't include all the time we spent talking as we walked and ate and just "hung out" together. It made me realize that during our non vacation time (which is by far the bulk of our year!) - we must be sure to make time for each other to just talk!

2. Even though my wife and I were sad when it was time to return home - there is still a good feeling that I experience every time I pull into my driveway after being away for a time. Home is home. For me, it is my favorite place on this planet. It is where I can "kick back and relax." It is where I always find acceptance. In my book, there is no place like home! My heart goes out to people who don't have the loving home experience that I have. I heard a story yesterday from a police officer about a woman who took her five year old daughter and stuck her in the dryer because she was making too much noise. And she went on to turn the dryer on! (fortunately the daughter suffered only minor physical injuries - but what about the psychological scars she will bear for the rest of her life?). All this to say - strive to make your home a safe place, a secure place, a place where love, acceptance and grace reign! Let's strive to "accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted (us), in order to bring praise to God" (Romans 15:7).

3. Time is moving forward on its relentless march. I was reminded of this when Sharon and I stopped to have lunch in Holden Beach, NC. This is where we spent our honeymoon - soon to be thirty one years ago. Holden Beach is a small town located on a small strip of land sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway. The town consists primarily of two rows of houses - one row along the beach the other the waterway. The house we stayed in faced the beach. As we drove across the bridge into Holden Beach - we saw little that looked familiar. Granted memories fade somewhat over 3 decades ... but even with that we noted numerous changes. As for the house in which we stayed - it is no longer there. It has been replaced by a larger newer home. But the beach is still there and it still looked the same :) - so we took our lunch and blanket and enjoyed our lunch on the beach. Given this reality of time's forward march - let's all determine to be always "making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...