A Journal Entry from Bangui, Central African Republic

Below is the journal entry that I emailed to my wife on the evening of our first day of training with the pastors. Thought you might enjoy!



Monday, August 31, 2009
Today has been a very wet day here in Bangui. My guesstimate as to amount of rain … I would say in excess of 3 inches. It has rained hard off and on since about 330 AM. It is now 330 PM and it is not raining at the moment. SO there is a LOT of mud around. BUT it is cool! So that is a worthwhile trade off!

We had 14 pastors in the training. It went very well. I was asked some good questions (like: What does a pastor do if he is in a church that is not supporting him when the Word of God commands those who receive truth from teachers to share their material goods with him? – Gal 6:6. Another question ran along the line of a pastor was asked to leave his church – he did not, so the congregation split and it became so divisive the government came and locked the building – what should the pastor have done? And what should a pastor do who is working hard and preaching the Word yet NOT seeing any changes among his flock?) So there were some good questions. It was interesting that with many of the questions asked, I either had personal experience to refer to OR I knew of a situation that I could refer to. Just another confirmation in my mind that I am to be here!

We started this morning late (9:30 instead of 8:00) due primarily to the rain (when it rains that hard the roads get quite muddy, greatly hindering travel). We went from 930 to 115 when we broke for lunch … then we went from 145 to 245. Right now I am waiting with Ryan for Hibaile who is planning to take us to see the Minister of Finance. I think Ryan is especially enjoying these VIP visits! (Speaking of Ryan – when I introduced him in church yesterday … he stood up and gave what I call, his politician's wave! But what was interesting was the response of the church people. Heidi Sisson (GBIM missionary in Bangui) told us that few could believe that I had brought my son in law with me. Apparently in the CAR, fathers in law and sons in law don’t always have a good relationship – all due to the tension around paying the dowry for the daughter. In fact, it is highly unusual for a son-in-law to eat at the same table as his father-in-law. (I told Ryan we might make the dowry retroactive to June of 2008!!!)



Today in our sessions we covered 1 Peter 5:1-4 (Peter's instruction to elders). Pastor Joseph interpreted for me (into Sango) for Hibaile had to go pray with the Prime Minister about some important matter. I also took the last half hour to begin our study of Epaphroditus. I got about 1/3 of the way thru it … then tomorrow I will complete that and also cover Living a Life of no regrets (Paul's swan song .. I have fought the fight, run the race, etc.) … and The Keys to the Apostle Paul’s endurance. It should be a full day!!! --- END OF JOURNAL ENTRY

Definitely our time in the C.A.R. was a precious time of ministry with some very precious people. Please pray with us for a lasting impact!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...