The Shrinking of God!

About a month ago, I stumbled across a book titled, The J.I. Packer Classic Collection: Daily Reading for Your Spiritual Journey. Given that J. I. is one of my favorite theologians, I figured I could not go wrong in buying and then reading the book. I was not wrong. Here is a portion of one of these readings, gleaned from his book, Rediscovering Holiness:

"Often in recent decades I have found myself publicly lamenting the way in which our Western culture has indulged unwarrantably great thoughts of humanity and scandalously small thoughts of God. Our time will surely go down in history as the age of the God-shrinkers. The result is that belief in God's sovereignty and omniscience, the majesty of his moral law and the terror of his judgments, the retributive consequences of the life we live here and the endlessness of the eternity in which we will experience them, along with the belief in the intrinsic triunity of God and the divinity and personal return of Jesus Christ, is nowadays so eroded as to be hardly discernible. For many in our day, God is no more than a smudge." 

J. I. is, sadly, right on with his assessment of how so many around us view God. For those of us who claim an allegiance to the God of the Bible, we must be careful that our culture's view of God does not shrink our view of God! In every way conceivable, our God is indeed an AWESOME God!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...