Friday Coffee with PJ

Sorry I missed our coffee time last week. Was enjoying a week of "staycation" with my wife. I also needed to catch up on some chores around the house. So ... I caught up on those and also caught up on some much needed rest! All in all ... a great week! Now it's back to the grind ... so grind your coffee beans (or whatever method you use to brew your coffee) ... and join me for a few random thoughts.

1. Yesterday, one of my staff members here at church, invited me to attend Lancaster Bible College's chapel to hear Jared Wilson speak. I had read and appreciated a number of things Jared had written. So I was looking forward to hearing him speak. I was not disappointed. The biggest takeaway for me from what he taught was this statement: "If you find the gospel boring, the problem in not with the gospel. It's with you!" He then went on to list a number of incredible blessings that are ours because of the gospel (and our response to it ... "repenting and believing" - Mark 1:14-15). As he went down his list, I find myself nodding in agreement. When we truly understand what the gospel offers us, there is simply no way we can find it boring. Think about it! The gospel redeems us from our sin, provides for us a relationship with the God who made us, promises us an eternal home of unimaginable blessing, brands us with a new identity in Christ .... and on and on and on it goes! All freely given to us who in NO WAY deserve any of it! Wow! There is no "boring" in the gospel! Thanks, Jared, for this wonderful reminder of the glory that is ours because of what Jesus Christ was willing to do for us!

Logan Feeling Some Steeler Love!
2. This past Sunday morning at 1:04 Eastern Standard Time, our newest grandchild entered our world. Logan Ryan Smith is our 7th grandchild! Since my wife was invited by our daughter-in-law to
be present for the birth, we made our way to Women's and Babies Hospital around 10:30 Saturday night. Our daughter-in-law tends to have "quick" deliveries, and my wife was determined she was not going to miss the birth of her grandson! We had been praying for a safe arrival of a healthy baby. God graciously answered our prayers! Children are indeed a gift from God (Psalm 127:3)!

3. Finally, an update on my wife and her recovery from her total knee replacement back on September 4th. I mentioned back on October 16th, that my wife was possibly suffering from Knee stiffness after her TKR (also known as arthrofibrosis or "stiff knee syndrome"). So next Tuesday (time TBD) her surgeon will perform MUA on her knee (Manipulation Under Anesthesia). This is being done to break up the scar tissue that has formed since the surgery. This scarring is preventing her knee from bending. The MUA will be followed by five days of aggressive physical therapy. Your prayers for my wife would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj


No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...