Friday's Coffee with PJ

Fridays keep rolling around at a pace that does not relent! We are now within two weeks of Thanksgiving Day! Wow! SO .... take some time to slow down and pour yourself a cup of your favorite coffee while joining me for a few random thoughts.

1. I am really getting sick of going to doctors! I think in the past year and a half, I have been to more doctor offices than my entire life (well ... given my age, probably not ... but it sure seems to be true!). I have had a torn distal biceps tendon repaired (this took five months from the time of the initial injury until the surgery ... in part due to my family physician trying to figure out what was behind my persistent arm pain). Then there was the follow up to the surgery and some complications, all of which led to the determination that I need another surgery due to another problem with my arm/wrist. In the midst of this, I endured a kidney stone episode last fall which led to a surgical procedure in January (and I  have another follow up with the urologist today that is related to all of this). In addition, I have had a couple of other minor health issues that my family physician is treating. Add to all of this the numerous visits I have gone to with my wife for her bad knee and now her new knee (do you see why I said I am really getting sick of going to doctors?). Of course, that statement is a bit ironic, yes? I am sick of going to doctors ... but it is due to "sickness" that I have to go in the first place! In all of this, I have encouraged myself calling to my mind the reality that this suffering is merely a season of life that I am passing through. And even if I had to battle illness and injury the rest of my earthly life ... I know with great confidence that there is a better me in my future. And part of this better me is a new, resurrected body! The apostle Paul talks about the resurrection that awaits us in 1 Corinthians 15. If you have not read this chapter lately, I highly recommend that you do. You will, I am sure, be greatly encouraged! Oh ... and by the way ... on Sunday, I will be preaching on 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 in which Paul talks about our future resurrection. I invite you to join us at either 9:00 or 10:30. We would love to have you join us!

2. Here are some brief but insightful words from the pen of one of my favorite theologian/author: "Christ walks, as it were, out of the pages of the Bible into our lives" (J.I. Packer). This is so very true! Jesus Christ ... his person and his work ... is at the very heart of the Bible's story line. But before he can walk into our lives ... we must get into the Word! So ... how much time do you spend in the Bible each week? Your answer to this question will go along way in determining how much Christ is in your life!

3. What kind of shape is your marriage in? If you want some help diagnosing the condition of your marriage, Kevin DeYoung (my favorite  younger author) offers up Ten Diagnostic Questions for Your Marriage.  If you are willing to invest the time ... I believe your marriage will be stronger after discussing these questions with your spouse!

4. Speaking of spouses ... thanks for praying for my wife. Last Friday I mentioned she was undergoing a Manipulation Under Anesthesia of  her right knee (see last week's post for a link which explains this). The manipulation was a success. In spite of great pain, she has now gone from a being stuck at a 95 degree bend to 107 degrees as of yesterday's therapy session! So although hurting right now in body ... she is encouraged in heart! Please pray she will continue to progress (the therapist would like to see her get to at least 115 degrees if not 120 degrees!). Pray also that she will be able to straighten her leg. She is currently at 10 degrees. Thanks!

5. Oh ... and I did notice that today is Friday the 13th. Since I am not superstitious in the least (I would rather live my life under the reality of the providential care of a sovereign God. One who loved me enough to send his one and only Son to die in my place, facing God's wrath so I would never have to). So that's all I am going to say about today's date (but for what it's worth, check out what wikipedia has to say about it).

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...