Friday Coffee with PJ

Good morning. Thanks for joining me for the first regular posting of my Friday blog here in this new year of 2016!

1. I just read on the AARP (formerly the American Association of Retired Persons - formerly because now anyone 50 or older can join and one does not have to be retired to do so) bulletin that nonsmokers who drink between 3-5 cups of coffee (regular or decaff) are 15% less likely to die "early" of any cause compared to non coffee drinkers. Yes! Now I can enjoy my coffee each morning knowing that I am making a healthy choice! If you want to read the full article, click here.

2. You all know what this is like – wishing for a few extra hours in your day or even a few extra days in your week.  Sometimes it just seems like there’s WAY too much to do and WAY too little time in which to get it all done!  Oh the tyranny of the urgent! This reminds me of a story I once heard.  Long ago when Africa was still relatively unknown to the outside world, a European explorer was taking a group into the African interior.  He had hired a native guide along with a number of other natives to help carry the supplies.  After a mid morning break on the third day of a fast-paced march, the Africans refused to resume their trek.  When the European explorer asked the guide the reason for their refusal, the guide told him, “They just need a little more time to allow their souls to catch up to their bodies.”   Hmmm.  I think all of us could learn a lesson from these guys.  Just as Jesus would get away to be alone with his Father (Mark 1:35) and called his disciples to do the same (Mark 6:31) – we too need to be sure to do likewise. As fast-paced as 21st century American life can be at times – we all need to take time to allow our souls to catch up to our bodies.  So be sure you set some time aside each and every day to spend quietly with God in prayer and in the Scriptures. You will be better for it! 

3. This week my wife returned to see the surgeon who repaired her broken leg back on November 18th. I was hoping that the x-rays would reveal enough healing had taken place in the mending of the bone that she would be cleared to begin to put weight on her leg. However, the outcome was a bit different. The surgeon explained that the x-ray did not show "substantial healing" and therefore he extended the no weight bearing limitation for another two weeks. Even though I was "bummed out" hearing this news, my wife took it in stride. I was amazed. She explained to me on the way home that she went in with low expectations (unlike me) and therefore the news did not surprise her. She was just glad that he did not extend the limit any more than two weeks (she pointed out to me that it has been 7 weeks already ... what are two more?). And she reminded me that God is ultimately in control and he has a plan for her and us through all of this. She is right about this. Life is hard ... and sometimes it is much harder than other times. And the outcomes we are seeking don't always come our way. But in the midst of life's difficulties it does indeed help to call to mind that although life is often hard ... God is always good.

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...