Friday Coffee with PJ

Well ... it's Friday! So pour yourself a cup of your favorite brew and join me for a few random
thoughts (I just finished off a cup of San Fransisco Bay Fog Chaser ... and boy was it good!).

1. In the midst of the difficult journey I have been on with my wife brought about by her knee replacement and subsequent complications, we got some really good news the other day that was totally unexpected. A registered letter arrived in the mail from a law firm in Philadelphia (in fact, it was from Dechert, a large international firm which Sharon and I both worked for during our first two years out of college). The letter informed us that an old neighbor of ours whom we had befriended in the early years of our marriage but have lost contact with had recently died. Having no children of her own, she left a portion of his very sizable estate to us. We could hardly believe it! You probably can't believe it either ... and you shouldn't. After all ... it is April 1st!  :)

2. Now back to reality. I have been thinking a lot lately about character (and I am not talking about the litany of characters that we see and hear about every day via the media!). Character for the follower of Christ is of utmost importance. The Scriptures have a lot to say about the kind of character that should mark each and every believer in Christ. If you are serious about growing to be more like Jesus, I encourage you to take some time and visit the blog of one of my favorite bloggers, Tim Challies. Back in January he began a series of posts he titled, The Character of the Christian. I was challenged by them. I believe you will be as well.

3. Yesterday I was dogged with a serious headache for much of the day. Excedrin Migraine did take the edge off ... but the headache was a persistent one. It just did not want to leave me alone! As I thought about my headache's persistence ... it hit me that I should be as persistent about certain spiritual practices that God mandates in his word . . . exercises that will strengthen the muscles of our soul and faith. Some of these would include daily interaction with the Scriptures, prayer, worship, stewardship, fellowship, silence and solitude (the latter being important due to the noisy world in which we live). Often I find myself neglecting these because I am just too busy with other things. However, when it comes right down to it, I (and I am guessing you as well) am too busy NOT to regularly practice these spiritual habits. One book that I recently picked up and am currently reading is one I would highly recommend: Habits of Grace: Enjoying Jesus through the Spiritual Disciplines by David Mathis. This book is highly readable and very practical. I am hoping that as I read through it and put what I learn (or am reminded of) into practice .... I will enjoy Jesus more and be in a better place to impact those around me for Christ.

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...