Friday Coffee with PJ

Friday morning. Friday Coffee. Friday satisfaction! So enjoy some satisfaction with me by pouring yourself a cup of your favorite brew (for me this morning a cup (or two or three!) of San Francisco Bay Gourmet Coffee) and reading on for some helpful thoughts for your walk with Jesus! 

Recently I have become very aware of a blind spot in my life: my grumbling and complaining. That's right. One day I made the determination to listen to myself and found myself grumbling and complaining a lot! Ouch! In his letter to the church at Philippi, Paul exhorts the Philippians to "do all things without grumbling and disputing" (Philippians 2:14). And the reason for his exhortation is that when we are not grumbling and complaining, then we become "blameless and innocent" and can therefore "shine as lights in the world" (Philippians 2:15). 

I can't speak for you but as for me, negative, complaining, critical, grumbling people don't do much for me. In fact, they turn me off. Yet here I am, a negative, complaining, critical, grumbling person! 

As my eyes became increasingly focused on this blind spot ... I took (and am taking) the following steps: 

- I repented of this sin (because that is exactly what it is!) The MacArthur Study Bible in its note on verse 14 reads, 

The Greek word for “grumbling” is a term that actually sounds like what it means. Its pronunciation is much like muttering or grumbling in a low tone of voice. It is an emotional rejection of God’s providence, will, and circumstances for one’s life. The word for “disputing” is more intellectual and here means “criticisms” directed negatively toward God.

- I reflected on my state before I embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ ... and then on my state following my commitment to follow Jesus as my Savior and Lord. God took me when I was a  wretched beggar and adopted me as his own child! Wow! In light of this - what do I have to really complain about? 

- Finally, I reversed each complaint into a word of praise or thanks. For example, if I caught myself complaining about my recent kidney issue, I would stop ... and reverse direction by thanking God that medicine advances have made it possible to treat my condition AND that I have health care to help pay for the cost! 

I am guessing that if you are anything like me (and I am sure you are in this way!), you need to go to work to become put off the grumbling and complaining in your life and put on gratitude and contentment in its place! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...