Death WILL Come Calling!



Yesterday, I googled the word, "death" and came up with over 390 million hits! The first site listed was http://www.deathclock.com/. Curious, I went to the site. Once there I found out that by entering some pertinent personal information (like date of birth, gender, Body Mass Index, etc.) the site would calculate my personal date of death. So, with some hesitation, I entered all the data, clicked "check your death clock" and waited. After what seemed like hours (which I am sure were just seconds) my date came up. I sure was relieved to see the date, December 22, 2029. But then I looked at my calendar and realized that is just 22 years away! Gulp. I was hoping for at least another thirty!

Now of course, there is no way this clock can be sure. All it is doing is going on statistics relative to length of life (to prove this, I did all the same data and changed my gender. If I were a woman I could count on living an additional 6 years - all because women on average live longer than men!). But there is one thing that is "dead" certain - all of us will one day die (unless the Lord Jesus returns for us before hand!). Statistics tell us that one out of every one dies! The Bible reveals to us the reason we all will die. In Romans 6:23 we are told that "the wages of sin is death." And since "all have sinned" (Romans 3:23) therefore all of us will die. So even though none of us know when death will come calling -- all of us know death will come. No matter how much we might try to deny or escape or delay this fact -- death will come. For the follower of Jesus, death is not something to fear! Jesus himself has conquered death, freeing us from its grip and its fear (see Hebrews 2:14-15). This is why the Apostle Paul states with such passion in 1 Corinthians 15:54-57, "When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory.' Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...