Sunday Evening at the Emmys

This past Sunday evening (at least I think it was Sunday), television handed out its annual Emmy awards. One winner, comedienne Kathy Griffin said the following as part of her acceptance speech: "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus ... This award is my god now."

Bottom line, Griffin spoke blasphemy (now there is a word you don't hear much of any more - but it is a word that occurs some 3 dozen times in the Bible!). According to the Bible, it is Jesus who is holding this entire universe together by the power of HIS word (see Hebrews 1:3; also Acts 17:28 declares that it is in God that "we move an live and have our being"). So Jesus in fact DID have something to do with Griffin winning her award (because the last time I checked, you had to be alive and acting or performing in some way in television to win an Emmy).

In mocking Jesus, Griffin was hoping to be offensive. Really? Yes! After the winning the award, she was asked by a reporter about her speech. Among other things, she told him, "I hope I offended some people. I didn't want to win the Emmy for nothing." Well Griffin succeeded. She offended many (a number of the major media outlets edited out this remark). But she had better worry about the One who bore the greatest offense. Judgment day is coming (Hebrews 9:27). And if she continues down her current path, only death and destruction await her (Proverbs 16:25).

Will you join me in praying today for Kathy Griffin and countless others who need to repent of their sinful rebellion against God and receive the free gift of salvation in Christ?


Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...