Another "Blog Flashback"

I posted the following post back in July 2005. I thought it was worth repeating.



A Surprise Visitor

It had been 16 years since we had last seen her. She was a fellow home schooler in the days we lived in the Pittsburgh area. Her kids and our kids sometimes played together. Out of the blue, she called yesterday. She had dropped off a son at a camp in Reading, then drove to Willow Street. She called us from the Weis Market. Of course, we invited her over. She could only stay a short time - and we made the most of it. We (mainly Sharon) caught up on her family - she on ours. Sharon and I were saddened to hear that her husband had died two years ago from cancer (at the age of 53). With two of her kids still in high school, things have not been easy for her.

After she left, I was struck at the effort she made to come see us - knowing that the visit would be brief. Obviously, she felt a need to see us, even though I would not have called us the best of friends. But people need people. It's what the New Testament is always talking about in its "one another" passages. How about you? Are you making people a priority in your life? Seeking to reach out to family, yes, but also to co-workers, neighbors, classmates? I am glad Nancy, hurting as she is, made the effort to stop and look us up. I am hoping to learn from her example! After all, Jesus calls us to love people, right? You will find Jesus' call in Matthew 22 - it is the second great commandment!

Thanks for listening,

Pastor John

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...