Growing Up! Key #1

When I was born over 52 years ago as the second of twin boys, I tipped the scales at just over 5 pounds. This morning I got on my scales at home and saw the numbers .... well that is too personal to share - sorry! But I will say the number staring back at me was a LOT HIGHER a number than the number five! But that's OK - because we are expected to put on weight as we grow (but alas, I've had the tendency to put on a little bit too many pounds!).


This week I am talking about growing in our spiritual lives. I want to share with you several keys to spiritual growth. Here is Key #1: If we are really serious about growing in our faith - then we will get really serious about our Bibles. Neither you nor I nor any follower of Christ can grow very much if we spend little time in God's Word. This is why Peter urges his readers to "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation" (1 Peter 2:2). The Scripture is what God will use to equip us for our spiritual journey through this life (pick up your Bible and read Psalm 119 sometime soon - you will see what knowing your Bible will do for you!). Now, even though most of us would agree with what I just said, far too many of us fail to act on this belief. According to several pollsters (e.g. George Gallup and George Barna) it is only a minority of Christians who actually read their Bibles on a regular basis. And when Christians are tested on their basic Bible knowledge, the results are not just sobering - they are frightening!


To wrap this all up - here is a question for you. How much do you want to grow in your relationship with God? If you want to get to know the God of the Word better - then make an intentional effort to get to know the Word of God better! Begin today. Make a plan to get into the Bible DAILY and with God's help, work your plan. Remember that God's Word is a lamp to our feet and a light for our path (Psalm 119:105). If you need some help on getting this done please feel free to contact me.


Thanks for stopping by,


pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...