Octoraro Orphie and Punxsutawney Phil Agree: Button Up for 6 More Weeks of Winter!

Monday was Groundhog Day. And the two most famous groundhogs in Pennsylvania both saw their shadows - indicating 6 more weeks of winter (of course, one look at the calendar will basically tell you the same thing!).

Yesterday morning, I was reminded in a rather surprising way that these two critters were right with their prediction! Around 5:30 AM, I got a phone call from someone canceling a breakfast meeting that I had set up with him for 6:00. "It will take me too long to dig out of my driveway" he explained. Perplexed, I walked over to a window and looked out. Sure enough there was between 3 and 4 inches of snow that had fallen overnight covering my front lawn, driveway and the street in front of my house. "Where did this come from?" I asked myself. The weather guys had said we might see a few flurries overnight! So I proceeded to go out and clear my driveway of the snow flurries that had fallen! Upon returning to the house, my wife informed me that some parts of the county had received up to a foot of snow (while other parts saw nothing!). Schools in our immediate vicinity delayed their start time for 2 hours ... and some schools in the harder hit areas of the county closed down for the entire day. A really strange snow storm. Eric Horst, a long term meteorologist at Millersville University said, "I've never seen anything like this. It's truly truly remarkable."

Horst might have been mistaken about the forecast for Tuesday night - but he was correct about his assessment of what happened. It was indeed remarkable. But when I think of something "TRULY, TRULY REMARKABLE," I think of what Jesus Christ did for me (and countless others). He was willing to take my place on the cross, facing death for me and in doing so pay the penalty for my sin and rebellion against the God who made me. This was a penalty that I in no way could have ever paid. It was either Christ pay it - or I would be condemned forever in a horrible place the Bible calls "hell." Forever separated from God and His goodness. Now that, my friend is TRULY, TRULY REMARKABLE!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...