Saying "NO!" to Sin and "YES!" to Righteous Living!

Many consider Tiger Woods to be the greatest golfer in the world (he is ranked #1 in the world) - perhaps in the history of the game. He is one lean golfing machine. But what I viewed on Sunday was not consistent with his ranking or reputation. He began the final 18 holes of the Players Tournament in second place, just four strokes behind the leader. If you know anything about Tiger's history, he was within easy striking distance to take over the lead. In the first few holes I watched in unbelief as Tiger hit one ball into the trees and another into the water. In a very short time he dropped from second place down to about 6th place (he finally landed in 8th place at the end of the day). I just scratched my head as I watched the great Tiger Woods unravel at the seams. One of the television commentators commented that it looked like Tiger brought his D- game (which would be great golf for me - but not so for Tiger!). It was a day that Tiger's play did not match up to his potential.

When I think of Christ-followers, I think for many of us that is also the case. Our walk, our daily reality does not live up to our potential. Here's what I mean. The Bible is clear - we are "in Christ." And because we are "in Christ," we can say "no" to sin (in fact we are commanded to do so!) and "yes" to righteous living. The Apostle Paul writes in Romans 6:6-7, "For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin." Did you hear that? Believers in Jesus Christ have been (past tense) FREED from sin! Yet far too many of us wallow in defeat. We give in to temptation all too often and all too easily!

I plan tomorrow (God willing) to discuss just why this is the case. Until then, strive to say "no" to temptation and "yes" to righteousness. Ask God to help you in this ongoing battle!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...