Jon and Kate Plus 8 to Become Jon OR Kate Plus 8


Jon and Kate Plus 8, the wildly popular TLC reality show, took a sour turn this week. After ten years of marriage (and one set of twins and one set of sextuplets), Jon and Kate Gosselin have filed for divorce. I must admit that I had become a quasi-fan of the show. I didn't watch it every week, not even close. But the few times I did watch it, I found myself smiling at the "little kids." However, after watching the show on Monday night (I recorded it and then "speed watched" it) I am smiling no longer. In fact, I doubt if I will watch the show again.

During the announcement of their impending separation, both Jon and Kate said they wanted to do what was best for their kids. If that is really the case, then I say, "Work your marriage issues out!" Research has OVERWHELMINGLY shown that divorce is NOT what is best for kids! Perhaps one reason (of several) that God hates divorce (see Malachi 2:16) is because of the negative and often devastating impact of the divorce of mom and dad upon the kids. Now I will admit that I have not walked where Jon and Kate have walked, and I am one to be careful at making judgments about others. But the decision of Jon and Kate to end their marriage is a decision made all too often in our society today. Parents, if they were really intent on "doing what's best for our kids" would make their marriage the priority it should be - then, perhaps, the "D" word would never come up (which it should never come up for a Christian couple to begin with!). Sadly too many see divorce as "the way out of an impossible situation." But my Bible says "with God all things are possible" - and that would mean healing a fractured marriage (see Luke 1:37).

As to Jon and Kate - yes neither was perfect. Jon was way too passive and non communicative in his marriage (by his own admission) and Kate was over-the-top bossy (again her admission). But then again, non of us are perfect husbands or wives. Let me encourage you today to pray for Jon and Kate that perhaps they will stop the divorce proceedings and do whatever it takes to restore their relationship to one another. In addition, I urge you husbands to strive to CHERISH your wives .... and wives, I urge you to RESPECT your husbands (see Ephesians 5:22ff). Let those among us who are married recommit ourselves to our marriage vows. All by God's grace and for His glory!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...