Are Our Prayers Really All That Important?

I don't know how it is with you, but all too often I find that my "prayer life" stinks. Really. I know I should pray. I know I should pray more. But the urgent tasks of my busy life will often crowd out the truly important activities - one the most important being that of communing with my Father in heaven (for more on this "tyranny of the urgent" I encourage you to pick up and read the little booklet by that name written by Charles E. Hummel - it's a great read!).

This morning as I was reading through 1 Peter, I was convicted of my "prayerlessness." In particular it was the following verse that the Spirit of God used to get my attention:

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray" (1 Peter 4:7)

When Peter mentions that the "end of all things is near," he is referring to the return of Christ and the end of this world as we know it now. In light of the fact that Christ's return is imminent (i.e. - it could happen at any time!), we need to work at thinking clearly and living holy. And the reason he gives for this is not that we would be able to point people more effectively to Christ. Nor is it that we would be in a better position to encourage our fellow Christians in their journeys of grace. Rather the reason we are to think clearly and live holy in the face of Christ's imminent return is so that we can pray! Wow! Peter thought prayer was important (and since what Peter wrote here was via the inspiration of the Holy Spirit we can say God views prayer as important!).

"Father, help me to become the man of prayer you want me to be ... and those around me need me to be!"

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

P.S. As you pray today, please pray for me as I continue to work on some messages I will be preaching during my upcoming trip to India. Thanks!

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...