Here's My Two Cents!


In a recent email, a friend offered up an idea to me and then closed by writing, "just my two cents worth."  Did you ever wonder where this expression “two cents worth” came from?  I did some research, and there are two dominant theories.  The first dates back to the years 1883 – 1932.  During this time, a first class stamp cost two cents (can you believe it?  No price increases for almost 40 years!  You talk about “the good old days!”).  So if a person wrote a letter to the editor to express his or her opinion it would cost two cents to do so.  Hence he was offering his two cents!  The other theory states that the expression “two cents worth” arose to simply mean “of little worth.”  When a writer stated he was offering his two cents it was his humble way of saying what he had to offer might not be all that valuable a contribution.  So bottom line – you can take your pick.  Either one makes “cents” to me!  

This is basically what I do on my blog - offer you my two cents on some random topics.  It may not be worth a whole lot – but I hope I get you to think. Today consider the date on the calendar. It is July 17th. That means that this summer (June-August) is half over. Soon, we will be raking the leaves from our yards, wondering where the good old days of summer went! But time is like that. As God reminds us ... our life is like a puff of steam ... here today, gone tomorrow (well really even quicker than that! - see James 4:14). So, if we really want to live a life that makes a difference for God and HIS kingdom, then we had better get at it and quit pursuing trivia! And that’s my two cents!  

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...