Christmas Caroling, Inc.

As a youngster growing up in the city of Harrisburg, my friends and I discovered a cool (perhaps I should say cold!) way to make money around the holidays.  I don’t recall how the discovery was made, but I do remember how thrilled we were with it.  We found out that by going door-to-door singing Christmas carols, people would invite us in out of the cold and give us steaming hot chocolate to warm our cold little bodies.  To go along with the hot chocolate, they would offer us a wide array of delicious home-baked Christmas cookies.  And often, as we said our good-byes, they would give us each some money.  Either we looked pretty poor and they felt sorry for us – or they viewed us as cheap holiday entertainment! I must say, we made out pretty well the two Christmas seasons we went caroling!


Last Thursday evening, I was at it again!  Our Life Group caroled at the Presbyterian Home in Quarryville. And again, we made out pretty well.  This time it was not because of the hot chocolate, cookies and money offered to us.  Rather, I found great satisfaction in the smiling faces and even tears of those to whom we sang (I sure hope the tears were tears of joy and not agony!).  Serving others is like that.  You want joy?  You want satisfaction?  Let me suggest you get your eyes off of yourself for a while and on to someone else.  Read Philippians 2:3-11.  Then seek to serve someone today.  Go ahead and do a secret act of kindness for someone.  You will be glad for it.

Thanks for stopping by ... and MERRY CHRISTMAS! 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...