Friday Coffee with PJ

My cousin, who is a writer, posted the following on his Facebook page the other day: "PROCAFFEINATING (v.) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee." That caught my attention because that sums up the start of my day. I need that initial shot of caffeine to get the fog chased out of my mind (maybe that is why my favorite coffee is San Fransisco Bay's Fog Chaser). So if you are reading this and you feel that need for a cup of coffee, please brew yourself a cup (or a pot), clear the mind fog, and join me for some random meanderings which, I hope, will help you in your spiritual journey with Jesus Christ. 

It does not take the brain of a rocket scientist to know there is something wrong with the world in which we live. Just this past weekend, for example, sixty-six people in Chicago were shot. Twelve died of their wounds. Mass shootings are becoming so routine, we are no longer shocked to hear of one. Sexual abuse and harassment involving high profile individuals (think Matt Lauer of the Today Show or those involved in the sexual abuse scandals rocking the Roman Catholic Church and the world of women's gymnastics). I could go on and on. But I won't. You know what I am talking about. 

So what is the cause of all of this? Many believe it's due to bad parenting, bad schools, bad economic situations, etc. But is it really? The Bible identifies the problem as a bad heart. From a biblical perspective, all of us are born with a heart that is beyond repair. And it does not take very long for the true nature of our heart to reveal itself (do you have to teach a toddler to say "NO!" or "MINE!")? So what is the answer to the evil in our world? Bottom line, we all are in need of a heart transplant. The Bible speaks of this in the Old Testament book of Ezekiel: 


I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh" 
(Ezekiel 36:26).

Now when does God do this? This spiritual surgery takes place when a person admits before God their need of a new heart. That not only are they sick inside ... they are in fact DEAD (Ephesians 2:1). Therefore they need what only God can give them. A new (living) heart. God in his grace offers this gift of a new heart and its accompanying new life. This is something that only he can offer. If you are tracking with me and you want to know more about how you can undergo this necessary divine surgery, I encourage you to take a few moments to check out: Two Ways to Live: The Choice We All Face.  It may be the most important moments of your life! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj



No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...