So Just How Does GOD View Sin? (Part 1)

Did you ever turn the wrong way onto a one way street? It can prove to be quite exhilarating. I know, because I have done it (and more than just once!). When it comes to our view of sin, many of us are heading the wrong way on a one way street. Yesterday, I discussed a few ways that our culture view sin (which in turn often impacts how we Christians look at it). And it is NOT how God sees it!

So just how does GOD view sin? For starters, he sees sin as a breaking of his law. In Romans 2:23 we read, "You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?" The Greek word translated here as "breaking" carries the idea of stepping over a boundary. So, in God's view we are LAW BREAKERS. And that includes every single one of us! (Romans 3:23 "For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.")

Now you might be thinking, "Wait a minute, John. I have never broken God's law. I am a decent person. I am not a law breaker!" That might be true, but God's Word sets a high (in fact an unattainable) standard. Take the 6th commandment (of the Ten) which states, "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13). Granted, most of us have never actually taken another human being's life. But Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:21-22a, "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment." Who among us can claim that we have NEVER been angry with another person. OK, we have all broken the 6th commandment.

Perhaps you remain unconvinced that you are a law breaker from God's vantage point. Take the next commandment (#7) which states, "You shall not commit adultery." Again you might be thinking, "Whew, that's good. I have never cheated on my spouse! I've got this one down!" But Jesus once more confronts our hearts when he says in Matthew 5:27-28, "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Again, who among us can claim that we have never lusted in this way? Now I could go on and on ... but I think (and hope) you get the point. Sin is the breaking of God's law and we are ALL guilty of doing so!


God also sees sin as a failure on our part to conform to HIS standard. In the Romans 3:23 passage I quoted above, the Greek word translated "sin" literally means "a missing of the mark." So bottom line, we sin when we miss the mark God has set for us. And just what is that mark? It is living our lives totally and wholeheartedly for HIM - all for His glory! There is not a soul among us who has lived up to that standard! All of us fall woefully short (read Romans 3:23 again).


So to sum up: sin is a breaking of God's law and a missing of His standard for us. That sure sounds a lot different from the view our culture has on sin. In my next posting, I will continue this discussion on how God views sin.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...