BEWARE OF WACKY WARNING LABELS!


As I was out running an errand today, I was catching up on the news courtesy of KYW 1060 news radio out of Philadelphia (I began listening to KYW in college and have been an avid listener ever since). I caught the tail end of a news story about an annual Wacky Warning Label Contest. This contest, now in its eleventh year, is conducted by Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch. I was astonished at the content of some product's warning labels. An honorable mention was given for a warning label on a letter opener that says: "Caution: Safety goggles recommended." Hmm. I wonder what that manufacturer thought might be in a letter? Third place in the contest was awarded to the manufacturer of a baby stroller featuring a small storage pouch. The stroller included a warning label that warns, "Do not put child in bag." The contest judges gave second place for a a label they found on an iron-on T-shirt transfer that warns: "Do not iron while wearing shirt." And finally the grand prize was given for a warning label on a tractor that read, "Danger: Avoid death!"

OK. I can see why these labels were noted for their wacky warning labels!!! I mean - who in their right mind is going to climb on a tractor and go looking for death! And using an iron on your shirt while you are wearing it? No wonder these warning labels were winners! To call them wacky doesn't quite seem to go far enough!

A lot of people think that the warnings in Scripture are wacky. They see God as some sort of cosmic kill joy who is looking over their shoulder just waiting to squash their fun. But the warnings in the Bible are there for OUR good, to protect us from evil. The sooner we learn that, the better off we will be!

Thanks for stopping by,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...