November's Here . . .

It might be hard to believe but I just confirmed it by looking a the date on my wrist watch - today is the third of November! And as I look out the window of my home office, I can see a carpet of golden leaves on my back lawn that says, "Ditto - it's November!" Personally, I think November is a great month - for many reasons. The football season is in high gear (football is my favorite sport) and the autumn colors are often spectacular. But the biggest reason that I like November is that it contains one of my favorite holidays - Thanksgiving Day.

As we approach Thanksgiving, you will probably find me posting some thoughts on the topic of gratitude. Giving thanks to God is probably the most underrated spiritual "discipline" in the toolbox of spiritual disciplines. It is simple to do yet profound in its affects. For starters, consider the following quote about the giving of thanks:

"Being thankful is not rocket science. Though the topic of gratitude goes as deep as the grace of God, it does not require tough biblical exegesis or advanced degrees to practice it. It just requires obedience. . . When we really give God thanks in everything, we are acknowledging that He is sovereign and that we trust Him. And we find that it changes us."
(Ellen Vaughn in Radical Gratitude, pp. 43-44)

Am I thankful for YOU?

You know it!

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...