So, Who Are You Going to Lean on?

Recently in my reading I ran across a quote that really (I mean REALLY!) got me thinking! These words were written by Elizabeth Elliot. Her husband was one of the five missionaries killed by the Auca Indians in 1956. Elizabeth writes,

"It is not the level of our spirituality that we can depend on. It is God and nothing less than God, for the work is God's and the call is God's and everything is summoned by Him and to His purposes, the whole scene, the whole mess, the whole package - our bravery, our cowardice, our love and our selfishness, our strengths and our weaknesses . . . [God uses] as the instruments of His peace a conglomeration of sinners who sometimes look like heroes and sometimes like villains, for 'we are no better than pots of earthenware to contain this treasure [the revelation of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ], and this proves that such transcendent power does not come from us, but is God's alone.' (2 Corinthians 4:7 NEB)"

Those our powerful words spoken by a woman whose personal world came crashing around her when her young husband was struck down in the prime of life. Especially considering he was killed trying to reach his soon-to-be murderers with the Gospel. Soldiers and cops are expected to die in the line of duty - but not missionaries! Yet through this dark valley Elizabeth Elliot learned that she could lean on God and HIS power to accomplish HIS purposes. That is a lesson I need to learn and re-learn. All too often, I want to be in control. And so I go through life depending way too much on MY power rather than HIS power. Ouch! May God help me (and YOU) lean more on HIM!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...