Back to Africa?


No, I am not planning to head back to Africa any time soon. But as I sat at my desk yesterday morning, my thoughts began to wander back there. So I pulled out my "email journal" (I kept all of the emails I sent to my wife) of the trip and began to read and reflect. Here is a portion of one email that I wrote after teaching on the 11th of 12 consecutive days of teaching/preaching:

"I covered the 1 Peter 5 passage on shepherding today with the pastors and got through the first third of my 'Epaphroditus, a Model Servant' material. Tomorrow I will finish that, look at Paul's 'swan song' ("I have fought the good fight," etc.) and answer more questions. There were quite a few really good questions today. That shows me the pastors are processing the Word . . . I am VERY tired. I am glad I have only one more day of teaching! So even though I am tired, it is a good tired as I have spent my energy in what I truly love to do - and that is to teach the Word of God!"


That last statement is so true. I do love to teach God's Word!  And why is that so? The answer to that question is found in the prayer Jesus prayed for His Church the night before His crucifixion. As He prayed to His Father, He said, "Sanctify them by the truth - your word is truth" (John 17:17). God's Word is THE instrument that God will work through to transform us into the image of Christ. So I am thrilled to know that I get the opportunity to teach God's people God's Word ... and then pray for them that they will take the Word and obey it!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...