Insomnia!


Early yesterday morning (I think the clock read 3:11) I had to make bathroom run. After crawling back under the covers, my mind clicked into gear .... forty-five minutes later I climbed out of bed, frustrated that I could not get back to sleep. I threw on my robe, pulled on my slippers and walked out to pick up our morning paper (which arrived yesterday shortly before 4:00 - I knew that because I saw the headlights of the delivery person's car shining through our bedroom window's blinds). Once back in the house, I settled into my favorite recliner and read the sports page. About fifteen minutes later, my eyes began to grow heavy -- so I threw on a blanket and turned off the light. And the sleep that I could not find while laying in bed ... crept up on me and I slept until just before 6:00. Yes, I wish I had gotten a bit more sleep, but I was thankful that I got the sleep that I did.

Now that is not the first time I have battled insomnia ... and I am sure it won't be the last time either! According to emedicine.com, an estimated 30-50% of the population is affected by insomnia, and about 10% suffer from chronic insomnia. Given these stats, I am sure you can most likely relate to my experience.

Now what makes my bouts with insomnia so baffling is the ease at which I sometimes find myself falling asleep. I can be watching the evening news (either 6 PM or 10 PM) and fall fast asleep. And there have been a few times in the past in which I have been talking to my wife (or a roommate on a mission trip) and have fallen asleep in the middle of a sentence (with me speaking!!!). So I just don't get it! Sometimes sleep comes easily and at other times it is very elusive. And as to why this is so, I must confess that for the most part I am clueless!

Of course, the reason we all hate these bouts with insomnia is that we need our sleep. And when we are deprived of sleep, our minds become foggy and our spirits grow grumpy - and that is not a great way to tackle our day! But this is NOT so with our God. Unlike us He requires no sleep. In fact, he never sleeps. And for us, that is a very good thing. In Psalm 121:4 we are told that the God who watches us, "will neither slumber nor sleep." So you and I never need to worry that when we are facing a crisis God might be sleeping through it. No. Never happen. God is always watching over us - 24/7/365. And I for one am very glad!!!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...