Holiness or Happiness?


From what I see and hear among American Christians today, I would judge that most see the pursuit of personal happiness as the major pursuit of their lives. One major reason why this is so is due to the teaching so many Christians are receiving today. Please take a moment and read the following excerpt from J.I. Packer's book, Rediscovering Holiness: Know the Fullness of Life with God:

"What do we Christians mainly preach and teach and produce TV programs and DVDs about these days? The answer seems to be not holiness, but success and positive feelings - getting health, wealth, freedom from care, good sex and happy families. I remember seeing in a Christian journal a group eight new 'how-to' books reviewed on a single page. How long, I wonder, is it since you heard about eight new books on holiness? Shall I guess?" 

He then goes on to write, "If we play down or ignore the importance of holiness, we are utterly and absolutely wrong. Holiness is in fact commanded: God wills it, Christ requires it, and all the Scriptures - the law, the gospel, the prophets, the wisdom writings, the epistles, the history books that tell of judgments past and the book of Revelation that tells of judgment to come - call for it." (if you want biblical support for this statement, please see the following: 1 Thessalonians 4:3; John 8:11; Matthew 5:19, 1 Peter 1:16, Titus 2:11-14, Ephesians 4:21-24, 5:25-27; Revelation 21:27; Hebrews 12:14; 2 Corinthians 7:1 - and I could go on ... but I will stop there!)

Hmm. J. I. is right here. Far too many of us have bought into the American right to the "pursuit of happiness" when we should be striving to pursue the biblical mandate to be holy. How about you? Given much thought lately to your state of personal holiness? (Oh and by the way ... the path of personal holiness results in a deep and enduring joy which is a far better state of soul then "happiness" which is so dependent on our external "happeninings!")

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...