Hypocrisy is Rampant - In My Own Heart!

This morning as I was driving through downtown Lancaster, I heard an interesting story on the radio that got my attention. It seems that according to a recent survey, the majority of people who experience flu-like symptoms, go to work in spite of being sick. This same survey showed that of those questioned, again a large majority disapproved of co-workers showing up to the office when ill. Hmmm. Are you hearing some hypocrisy here?  "I can come to work when sick (and spread my illness to you), but don't you dare show up when you are sick and spread your germs to me"

As I thought of that this morning traveling north on Prince Street, I noticed that the driver in the car in front of me threw a spent cigarette out his car window. The first thought that raced through my brain was, "There's another person, abusing their body with the unhealthy habit of cigarette smoking!" No sooner had that thought bounced around the walls of my mind, a still small voice seemed to say, "But John, is that any different from your abuse of your body by not getting enough exercise?" Ouch!  Hypocrisy in my own heart!

My friends, before pointing a figure of condemnation at someone else for their failures, please take a long, hard look in your mirror. My guess is that you have plenty of shortcomings of your own to work on (see Matthew 7:1-5).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...