Resolutions for 2011

Once I got back to feeling myself this week, I took some time to draw a list of resolutions for this new year. After much thought, prayer and re-edits ... here are my seven. I offer them up to you for a couple of reasons. First, to encourage some of you to do the same. Far too often we tend to drift through life with little direction. Living like that will never lead to greater godliness and obedience. Second, I want to go on record for the purpose of accountability. I post this list with some fear and trepidation, knowing that a lot of people "out there" will be "in the know" concerning my personal resolutions for 2011 (and please, feel free to ask me about them!). So here is my list ...

1. I resolve to get to know the Word of God better to better know the God of the Word.
2. I resolve to be more intentional in loving my wife as Christ loves His Church.
3. I resolve to pray more.
4. I resolve to be a better shepherd of my family, especially in regard to the faith journeys of my children and grandchildren.
5. I resolve to improve the care of my body, knowing that it is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
6. I resolve to be more intentional in sharing my faith.
7. I resolve to strive to keep the above resolutions - all by God's grace and for His glory.

Now it is my plan in the next week or so to work out some specific goals that will help me to keep these resolutions. For today, here are a couple of goals that I have set in place for resolution #1:

1. I plan to spend time each day in an in depth devotional study of the Book of Romans. To assist me in this, I will use James M. Boice's four volume commentary on Romans (I had the incredible privilege to sit under Dr. Boice's teaching for two years when I attended his Center City Philadelphia church while a college student.  He was quite the Bible teacher!).
2. I also plan to journal on what I "pull out" of these daily times of study.
3. Finally, I plan to memorize a verse or passage of Scripture each week.

So there you have it. I covet your prayers for me. I know how easy it is for me to get distracted from the truly important by the tyranny of the urgent.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...