The Power of Encouraging Words


Yesterday I did something that was looooonnnnnggg over due – I cleaned up my office. That meant doing something that I would rather not have to do … file! In the process, I pulled out an old file that I have had for many years. I call it my “encouragement” or “get up” file. In it I have accumulated notes of encouragement I have received across the years. One note in particular, written by a family upon the occasion of our leaving Pittsburgh to move here to Lancaster, brought tears to my eyes. Imagine that. The note was written almost 23 years ago … yet it still retained the power to massage my heart and lift up my soul. There is power in encouraging words! (But beware; there is also power in destructive, discouraging words! But that is a topic for another day’s blog.)

The book of Proverbs tells us that “pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones” (Proverbs 16:24) and “an anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up” (Proverbs 12:25).  The other day I urged you to keep your “radar” up and be looking to reach out a helping hand to those who are hurting.   Let’s make it part of our day today to offer someone a word (or words) of encouragement (often this is all it takes!). And why stop with just today?  Why not make it part of our every day routine?  In this broken world, there are plenty of people surrounding us who could use an encouraging word!

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...