Doing It Half Way!

If you live in the same neck of the woods as I do, you know it's been quite tropical of late. Lots of heat.
Lot's of humidity. And lots of downpours (for example, the storms that rumbled through in the early morning hours of Monday left about 2 inches in my rain gauge). Now with all the warmth and moisture you can just imagine how fast the grass is growing (and if you live in these parts you don't have to imagine - just take a look!). Yesterday, it was evident my lawn could stand a shearing! But with storms threatening, I knew I would not have time to do it all. So, I did the next best thing. I mowed the front lawn. After all, everyone who passes my house sees the front yard. Whereas very few (if any) see the lawn behind my house. I figure, I will get to that eventually ... but at least for now, the front lawn is presentable!

Hmm. Isn't this the way we often deal with our spiritual lives? We seek to work on the areas that are most visible. But the less visible .... well that's easy to let slide. The problem with this approach is that it is the least visible that is often the most important. Here's just one example. Arguably, one of the most vital of the spiritual disciplines that we must cultivate and practice is that of prayer. But, if I am not praying as I should, I can get by with not doing so and you might never know it! It's like not cutting my back lawn.

So .... let me ask you: how is your private prayer life these days? Are you seeking God's face in prayer? Asking on behalf of your family, friends, and church? Thanking God for His many blessings? Worshiping him for awesome God that he is? Confessing your sins? Begging for his help?

You might be able to get by for a while with allowing prayer (and other less visible faith practices) slide. But in the long run, you will be a lot worse for it!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...