An Open Letter to the Church Family at Grace Church of Willow Valley

Twenty-five years ago, I entered the pulpit (and it was a fairly large pulpit back then) at Grace Church to begin what I was hoping would be a long and fruitful ministry (by long I was thinking ten years or so). Obviously, God had other plans. The years have been far more than ten. As for being fruitful, I defer to God on that call.

To mark this occasion ... here is a letter for my family at Grace Church at Willow Valley. If you are not part of our church family, feel free to read the letter, too. These twenty-five years have passed quickly. But my resolve to glorify God as I serve Jesus Christ in this place has not. I hope it has only grown.


September 1, 2014

 Dear Grace Family,                                                                                          

In Psalm 16:6, King David wrote the following words: “The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” The boundary lines he has in mind here are not the boundary lines of a piece of land, but rather the boundary lines of his life. David believed God had placed him in the place where he was (King of Israel), and he was rejoicing in God’s providence and the blessings he enjoyed as a result.

I can definitely relate to David. I also believe that “the boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” It has been twenty-five years this day since God in His providence led me and my family here to Lancaster County and Grace Church. When I first arrived, I asked the Lord for a ministry here that would last ten years (after serving a church for three years and another for five, I was looking for a pastorate of a little longer tenure). Little did I realize that God would more than honor that desire with a ministry that is at twenty-five years and counting!

In writing this letter to you, my family at Grace, it's my desire to let you know that there is no other place on this planet that I would rather be serving Jesus Christ than right here! You are a special group of people whom I have grown to love dearly across the years. I thank you for all of your loving support that you have given to me and my family. My prayer is that God will continue to allow us to deepen our love for God, nurture our love for others and address our world’s need for Christ – TOGETHER – for yet a few more years!

Together (you, me and God) we can do much!
pj 


Pastor John 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Celebrating with you 25 years does go fast!

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...