Friday coffee with PJ

I've already enjoyed 2 cups of my favorite brew, and I am considering a third. And it's only 8:00 in the morning. This morning's post will be brief, as I am still moving quite slow as result of my recovery from my surgery five weeks ago. I would appreciate your prayers as I return to the orthopedic surgeon next Tuesday, and then walk across the hall to see the physical therapist. My therapy is supposed to begin "in earnest" this upcoming week (gulp!).

1. One of the keys to personal evangelism is relationship. As one writer states, "Evangelism for most Christians comes, not out of giftedness, but out of relationship." The first key relationship is that of a dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ. We don't begin to "fish" until we first follow Jesus (Matthew 4:19). The second relationship that has huge implications for evangelism is involvement in a personal way with people who don't know Christ. One look at Jesus and how he related to the loss people around him, and you will see among other things compassion (Matthew 9:36-38). So if you want to be used by God to reach the lost, ask yourself how you're doing with these two key relationships.

2. Our God is known as a "covenant-keeping God" and with good reason! Throughout both the Old and New Testaments, God is seen as one who makes covenants and keeps covenants (Genesis 9:9, Genesis 15:8, Exodus 19:5, Deuteronomy 7:9, Mark 14:24, Hebrews 8:8, etc., etc., etc.). In other words he is very different from us in this regard. Not that we don't make promises. But all too often the promises we do make we break. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. So whereas God is a Promise Keeper by his very nature, we in our sinful, broken, fallen nature are not. But we can find great encouragement in God's character in regard to his promises. For every time we pray it is to this faithful covenant-keeping God that we pray. That my friend should spur us on to pray better and to pray more!

Thanks for stopping by,
PJ

PS - Post not as brief as I had anticipated ... just got going on these vital topics that I hope spur you on in your journey of grace!

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...