Pain with a Purpose

Yesterday I had my postop visit with my surgeon. A nurse first removed the cast and the stitches. Everything looked good. Even the surgeons initials which he wrote on my forearm with a purple marker were still visible. Up until yesterday, I really hadn't experienced a whole lot of pain. In fact, the doctor was a bit surprised that I did not take more pain med then I did. So I guess I have something to really be thankful for! However, once the cast was off and they fitted me with my new brace, I started having some pain. And the pain continued off and on throughout the rest of the day and even into this morning. Since I have quite a bit of physical therapy to go through, I'm going to guess that pain will be a rather constant if not welcomed companion of mine for the foreseeable future.

But that's not a bad thing. For starters, I have to get through the pain to find the healing that my arm needs. In addition, God uses pain in our life to refine us and to conform us to the image of his Son. In fact, the Bible often speaks about pain in a positive way. A quick look at James 1:2-4 and Romans 5:3-5 will make that plain. CS Lewis often referred to pain as the megaphone of God. So this morning I prayed and asked God that he would help me to be a good student ... that across the course of the next couple of months I would learn the lessons he desires for me to learn. Would you please pray along with me? Thank you so very much!

Thanks for stopping by,
Pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...