Friday Coffee with PJ

Thanks for joining me on this first official day of spring (which actually begins at 6:45 pm tonight - maybe the snow will be done by then!). So with the frightful weather outside, now would be a good time to pour yourself a delightful cup of hot coffee and join me for a few random thoughts.

1. Yesterday morning I awoke to see that the National Weather Service had posted a Winter Weather Advisory for today. Ouch. A WINTER weather advisory for the first day of spring? That's just not right! I am more than ready to see daffodils in bloom and to soak in some sun (and I am guessing most of you are, too!). But the seasons don't always follow the script. And life doesn't either. Well, at least that partially true. Better said, "Life doesn't always follow OUR script." But life ALWAYS follows God's script. He is sovereign (Ephesians 1:11). And as a sovereign, He rules. He rules over the affairs of large nations and little people (like you and me). In HIS providential plan, nothing comes our way without first passing through his all powerful hands (not to mention his all wise mind and his forever loving heart). Now it is true we don't always understand His script. But we can trust ourselves to the One who does. God KNOWS what He's doing! And that's good enough for me!

2. I just began reading Tim Keller's recent book, Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God. In his book he notes that the Apostle Paul never prayed that God would change the circumstances of his readers. Rather, he prayed that through their circumstances they would come to know God better. According to Keller, prayer itself is "not a way to get things from God but as a way to get more of God himself."  Ouch! If he is right (and I believe he is), then I sure have a long way to go in my "prayer life." All too often, my prayer list looks like the list I would draw up as a kid as I looked through the Sears Catalog trying to decide what I wanted for Christmas. How about you? How do you view prayer?

3. I was going to add another thought ... but I think instead I will sign off so I can "sign on" with God in prayer. Keller is so convicting!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...